Devotional 3- "You are my Sunshine"


Good day, friend!  I have no idea what it looks like outside of your window but we are going to take some time and talk about almost everyone's favorite thing right now...

SUNSHINE

I can't tell you how many people I've come across during the Covid-19 Pandemic that has excitedly announced, "Yeah!  At least it's sunny out today!"

I think that there actually are some people that find even greater comfort in a good ole' sunshine-y day.  Those who are suffering from chronic pain seem to find some relief in the warmth.  Those who suffer from Seasonal Depression are likely to emerge out of the dark with a smile.  And of course, the kiddos love the chance to stretch their legs and play when the weather permits!  How many of you just relish sitting in the sun and getting that bronze glow?  I know I do!

Did you know that there are upwards of 49 verses in scripture about the sun?  I had no idea!  Let's take a minute and look at a few.

Ecclesiastes 11:7 (NIV)- Light is sweet,
and it pleases the eyes to see the sun.

Isaiah 60:1 (NIV)- “Arise, shine, for your light has come,
and the glory of the Lord rises upon you.

Matthew 13:43  (NIV) -Then the righteous will shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Whoever has ears, let them hear.

Proverbs 4:18 (NIV)-The path of the righteous is like the morning sun,
shining ever brighter till the full light of day.

Psalm 84:11  (NIV)- For the Lord God is a sun and shield;
the Lord bestows favor and honor;
no good thing does he withhold
from those whose walk is blameless.


Which one of those is your favorite?  Go ahead...Read them again and really think about what they are saying.

God is a Sun.

Well, no wonder we all love Him so much- Turns out,  He's one of our most favorite things! Say that phrase a couple of times out loud....

God is a Sun....God is a Sun....God is a Sun.

Now, have you ever said that before?  I'm guessing most of you haven't.  I know I never have.

I have done another thing, though, that I'd like to share with you.  

I have this habit.  I don't think it's necessarily weird but I'm not really sure why I did it the first time.  It's actually a bit childish but I think that's why I enjoy doing it so much!  I'm not sure if I've ever told anyone that I do it...I just do this with my Abba on sunny days when I find myself directly in the sun.

I look up at the sun as best as I safely can and I close my eyes and I whisper to God, "Can you see me??"

I do it almost every time.  I may have to mouth it if people are around me but whenever the sun is shining right on me, I ask Him...."God, can you see me?"  (and then I grin)

I grin because I know the truth.  It's like a little girl playing outside with her father.  I KNOW He can see me but I wish He could tell me that He does.  I'll be honest, I do it for a particular reason.  A reason and a prayer that I hold very dear in my heart of hearts.  

I'm like everyone else.  I want to get to heaven and I want to see Jesus first!  I want to hear him say "Well Done."  I think that would be amazing.  But I want Him to say another thing when we first meet face to face.  I want him to gaze straight into my eyes and say...

"I saw you"

Because, isn't that what we all want today?  We rush around as women and we constantly take care of everything and everyone and so much of the time, no one notices.  We hurt-with deep hurts in our souls- the hurts that we can never tell anyone about- and it's lonely.  We long to be understood.  We are driven to be valued.  We want someone to adore us in spite of us.  We want to be pursued.  We want someone to see us but see us in a way one would when they shine a giant light just on us and truly love everything they discover.

Guess what?

God is a Sun.

Look at this verse once again:

Psalm 84:11  (NIV)- For the Lord God is a sun and shield;
the Lord bestows favor and honor;
no good thing does he withhold
from those whose walk is blameless.

Don't miss something very important in that passage:

no good thing does he withhold
from those whose walk is blameless.

Whatever you're facing today.  Whatever you're praying about or hoping for.  Whatever it is that you think you need...Please, don't fall for the lie of Satan that our great God is a thief.  So often when I speak or I talk with women in counseling, I hear that sinful belief coming out of our mouths.

"God is a thief".  They may not say that exactly but they question Him.  They feel jealous of what He is doing for someone else.  They feel slighted that He has not given them what they want.  They assume He is just not hearing them.  But, Sister, God is not a thief.

God is a Sun.

If you commit your way to Him.  If you keep trusting and keep walking...He sees you.  He promises to bestow (give, dump on you, pour out) honor and favor.  He will withhold no good thing from you.  He will see you...

Because

God is a Sun.

Isaiah 60:19–20
The sun shall be no more your light by day,
nor for brightness shall the moon give you light;
but the LORD will be your everlasting light,
and your God will be your glory.
Your sun shall no more go down,
nor your moon withdraw itself;
for the LORD will be your everlasting light,
and your days of mourning shall be ended. (ESV)




















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

May 5th, 2020 - Devotion 1

Devotional 7- Liar

Devotional 4 "What's that smell?"